Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Day Eleven: All Apologies



I'm not a bad man.

At least I'd like to think not (granted, usually if you have to begin sentence with a character defense you're fighting a losing battle). Often, I can even fool myself into believing that I'm actually a really good person. But, like most, I've certainly caused my fair share of harm and I've got some apologizing to do. To that end, I offer my sincerest apologies, without reservation, to the following people who, to one degree or another, I've offended during my slow lurch toward maturity.
  • My mother - For being reckless, ill-mannered and slow to learn
  • My father - For legacy, and for perpetuating some of your more regrettable habits
  • My sister - For failing to jettison the sibling rivalry mentality in a more timely fashion
  • My spouse - For the last nine years (including Sunday)
  • My older son - For not being more involved in your life
  • My younger son - For not being as good a parent as your mother
  • Mrs. Rivers - For not becoming a physician
  • Mrs. Mask - For not becoming a writer
  • That sister who I turned down at the Summer Camp dance - For projecting my insecurities onto you
  • My older son's mom - For not walking away sooner
  • My high school sweetheart - For mistaking 19 years old for 17 years old
  • My college sweetheart - For them all
  • My students - For failing to prepare you properly
  • 1914 - For not speeding our cause on it's way
  • The Cat Lady - For seeing you through the eyes of others
  • Claude - For taking the coward's bait
  • Nat - For overlooking you
  • Denise - For getting your car towed, and for the airport
  • Bruce - For making your problems my problems
  • Troy - For not being your brother
  • Floyd - For taking the easiest route
  • The Kid I Pushed Away - For pushing you away
If I've allowed any misdeeds to go unmentioned it is only because I can't remember them at this time. If aging has one saving grace, it is forgetfulness.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 9:57 AM , Blogger decade number three said...

Doing the twelve steps? I joke but i think that's what i', going to give myself for my birthday. Apologies are the windshield wipers for the soul. You can see and feel so much better after they make things clear.

 
At 10:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

look at you, being a grown up.

 
At 10:46 AM , Blogger BLESSD1 said...

Hey you forgot fans of your writing....for leaving us hanging for so long! LOL! Just jokes, ACT, and I'm sure that many of those folks, should they ever view this list, will appreciate your apologies.

 
At 8:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

To EddieWest - for being the best friend I could be.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Technorati Tags: ,
Add to: | Technorati | Digg | del.icio.us | Yahoo | BlinkList | Spurl | reddit | Furl | Technorati Tags: , , ,