Monday, November 10, 2008

Day Ten: Goliath Responds

"I hereby celebrate the brilliant, unparalleled mind of Another Conflict Theorist."


So incensed was I by Richard Cohen's LBJ column that I shot off my blog entry, in it's entirety, to the author at his Washington Post email address. I've done this before. I've countered Jason Whitlock's unabashed foolishness at jwhitlock@kcstar.com for a couple of years now. I also, regularly, submitted rebuttals to the local newspapers in DC, NYC, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis/St. Paul. Apart from having a few letters published, I've never really heard back from any of the objects of my righteous indignation. Until now. Today, I was checking my inbox and, to my surprise, found a response from Mr. Cohen. It read as follows:

I agree with everything you say --without, of course, the smug sarcasm --and I've never thought otherwise. But it is often overlooked that LBJ did not do what he was forced to do, but what he wanted to do. He and MLK both had their roles. To salute one is not to denigrate the other although, to be fair, my column could have used a reference to MLK. For that, I am sorry.
Thanks,

Richard Cohen
Columnist
The Washington Post

Of course, I focused a great deal more on the acceptance of my words as the gospel than on the somewhat factual accusation of "smug sarcasm." It is wrong that I had to force myself to not respond by asking for a job?

5 Comments:

At 8:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm not sure if i shouldn't kick you in the balls for not doing so?

 
At 8:13 PM , Blogger Son of Baldwin said...

You read him for blood. I love it.

 
At 2:36 PM , Blogger Clifton said...

You did the right thing by not asking. You wrote what you did out of passion and belief not for an audition. Now, what he could do is print your response on his column so the world can be exposed to your intellect. You might get a few offers after that.

I have had the privilege of that happening and it doesn't suck.

 
At 7:47 PM , Blogger BLESSD1 said...

Man...is it too late? Get that paper, brougham!

 
At 8:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats!!! To get a response from a columnist about your critique of his/her work is impressive. Makes you wonder whether you should be writing for some of these newspapers. I mean, come on...Jason Whitlock. That guys a joke...and a half. Keep up the good work brother.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Technorati Tags: ,
Add to: | Technorati | Digg | del.icio.us | Yahoo | BlinkList | Spurl | reddit | Furl | Technorati Tags: , , ,