Monday, August 07, 2006

The Book List














Don’t take the short cut on this one.


I want to start by thanking Changeseeker for motivating me to get going on my posting again. Some of you may have noticed that I haven’t written anything lately. I simply haven’t been interested. Sometimes I feel that I’m shouting into a void and no one is listening. But don’t cry for me, Argentina. I’ve felt this way before and I’ve bounced back.

At any rate, I’ve been “tagged” to list some of my favorite books by Changeseeker. As she wrote, my list of faves would probably evolve from day to day. This is what I’m digging currently:

(1) One book that changed your life? The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X and Alex Haley.

(2) One book you have read more than once? Backlash by Susan Faludi.

(3) One book you would want on a desert island? 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

(4) One book that made you laugh? I have to give three. Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Macguire and A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole and Still Life With Woodpecker by Tom Robbins.

(5) One book that made you cry? This really isn’t a book. It’s a short story but the first time I read it I cried like a baby. “D.P.” by Kurt Vonnegut.

(6) One book you wish you had written? There’s no way to name just one. This will essentially be a short list of some of the things I’ve read that I’ve found moving and convinced me that people are here for a purpose: All of the Shakespearian tragedies, From Slavery to Freedom by John Hope Franklin and Alfred A. Moss Jr., Heat Wave by Eric Klinenberg, A Mathematician Reads The Newspaper by John Allen Paulos, The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins, Death and The King’s Horseman (a play) by Wole Soyinka, The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin.

(7) One book you wish had never been written? The Bell Curve by Richard J. Herrstein and Charles Murray because it attempted (unfortunately somewhat successfully) to lend an air of scientific credibility to racism. Incidentally, check out how many Amazon.com reviewers find this book "insightful" and "thought-provoking." Tells you alot about folk's willingness to embrace racist beliefs as long as they're wrapped in pseudoscience.

(8) One book you are currently reading? The Thanatos Syndrome by Walker Percy.

(9) One book you've been meaning to read? Gumbo Ya-Ya: Folk Tales of Louisiana by Saxon, Dreyer and Tallant.

(10) And tag five bloggers to do this, too. Will do.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 4:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally a new blog I was getting worried. Thanks for coming back.

 
At 12:24 AM , Blogger Clampett said...

Good stuff.

I'll take your recommendation and read The Fire Next time.

 
At 8:46 AM , Blogger Clifton said...

My dad had From Slavery to Freedom when I was a kid. Its a good book to have around the house for your children to get some knowledge. My favorite book is probably Soul on Ice by Eldrige Cleaver.

 
At 11:16 AM , Blogger changeseeker said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I completely forgot about Welcome to the Monkey House--which could have been my answer for both one book that made me laugh and one book that made me cry. If I had to pick a living person to be "God," Vonnegut would be high on my list--maybe number one.

 
At 12:07 PM , Blogger Professor Zero said...

Ohhh, another very cool list.

 
At 3:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a fan of a book called The Learning Tree.

 
At 3:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! cheap calling card Ge automobile insurance zoloft ween cheap prepaid calling cards in uk Free female domination thumbnails Cheap calling cards to syria from newzealand 2005 download nuker spyware Ajax moving companies international 84 suzuki rm125 Belgie gay sauna vitamin b12 weight loss Roulette tendre V-twin tv Ice makers for hot point foot fetish why joint formula 88 joint pain relief cream Strippoker giggling elizabeth allen in swimsuit in donovan's reef cheap airline eu calls for emergency iran talks

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Technorati Tags: ,
Add to: | Technorati | Digg | del.icio.us | Yahoo | BlinkList | Spurl | reddit | Furl | Technorati Tags: , , ,