Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Return

A great deal has happened since I last bothered to post.  I've been busy, but that's not really the reason that I haven't posted.  Frankly, I haven't posted because I haven't seen the point.  For months, the thought of blogging has exhausted me.  I've felt that posting my opinions wouldn't make any difference, anyway, given the relatively small reach I possess, and the fact that things seem to be getting worse and worse for the "average" American.

Still, I hate that I missed out on opportunities to strike while the political iron was still hot re: Obama defeating Hillary, Billy Bob Clinton's playing the perplexed pied piper after having lost his loyal black following, the misplaced anger of Hillary's supporters, McCain's sad and steady dismantling of his "maverick" image, his cynical pick of a wild-eyed, irresponsible, Northern redneck for a running mate, whites' predictable response to Sarah Palin, Obama's (nearly) perfect campaign run, etc.

I also hate that I neglected to hurl timely criticism at the Olympics and Michael Phelps Mania, note the untimely passing of Bernie Mac and Isaac Hayes, and bitch about gas prices and the downward spiraling economy. 

Having noted this, I have to admit that on a number of occasions, I've strongly considered deleting Blaxplanation altogether.  As I mentioned, I just haven't been able to see the point.  Sometimes, when I post I feel as if it's just an exercise in narcissism.  It wasn't until I reminded myself of how many obligations (to family, friends, myself, former classmates, co-workers, my fraternity) that I've turned my back on in the past that I reconsidered erasing all that I've done and getting back to work.  So, I'm trying to look at this as a new beginning.  It doesn't matter that this blog isn't turning the world on it's ear.  Nor does it matter that, from time to time, my posts are ego-driven.  All that matters, for now, is that Blaxplanation is here for me to return to - and maybe that's the only point there needs to be.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 8:57 AM , Blogger decade number three said...

YAY! You're back! I've missed you and your comments. Everybody needs something to think about everyone once in a while. And did you ever consider that even though you feel you don't reach many, the conversations that ensue amongst us and our friend/family/co-workers is far reaching beyond what you thought??? Glad to see you online again.

 
At 10:53 AM , Blogger Breez said...

Holy absence Batman! Well, I've got a new spot! http://beautyjackson.wordpress.com. Long story there, but it was time for a new beginning.

Mel

 
At 10:54 PM , Blogger Clifton said...

Blogs are a avenue for cats like us to express ideas that won't make the paper.

In a show of solidarity I never deleted the link even though I got tired of looking at Andy Rooney. If that was going to be your last post for a long time you should have had Serena Williams or someone like that up there for the pic. If you were really as narcissistic as you think you are you would have posted a blog about how you were thinking about quitting just so your adoring fans could send you messages about how you should keep going like you did for me.

 
At 11:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see your online again. I like the comment about former classmates, I miss talking to you. With the recent hurricanes and those having to seek shelter it reminded me of days gone by and how things have changed in my life and yours. Don't be a stranger, I'd love to talk. 214-460-6730

 
At 11:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i concur with cliff. well, just replace serena with djimon hounsou... good lawd.

 
At 9:55 AM , Blogger Mandingo said...

Good to see you back online my brother. Your presence has been noted and the void has now been filled. Having said that, you can still reconnect in some of those other categories...I know one that is still there for you (since 1914). I now have a new address as well...http://myopinionbutimnotwrong.blogspot.com/ check out my musings and leave something profound. Holler at you later.

 
At 4:34 PM , Blogger ...they call me "L" said...

dayum baby! amazingly awesome to see u again around my spot. guess i can add yo behind back to my list of daily check-ins. Smooches!

 
At 2:12 PM , Blogger BLESSD1 said...

Dude...I too am going to have to concur with Clifton. I never deleted you from the blog-roll, but I did move you down. You commented in my joint, and I think a single tear formed in my eye. I called Breez and said, "HE'S BACK...HE'S BACK! ONE OF MY FAVORITE WRITERS IS BACK!" Of course, by that point, I was about a week late,...but better late than never, right? Welcome back, brother.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Technorati Tags: ,
Add to: | Technorati | Digg | del.icio.us | Yahoo | BlinkList | Spurl | reddit | Furl | Technorati Tags: , , ,