Friday, November 09, 2007

The Continuing Saga of a Sociopath





















God help us all.

OJ is in court again. This time it's because he allegedly (read: probably) threatened some dude who stole *cough* set up *cough* some sports memorabilia from him in Vegas. Once more I can feel white America hanging its vengeful hopes on the conviction of OJ Simpleton...I mean Simpson. Once more I can feel the skepticism of black Americans who believe that white folks are simply "out to get" him. I honestly heard one brother say with a straight face, "Man, they just keep on trying to squeeze The Juice." Since I'm now taking my cues from the NAACP and Al Sharpton, and recognizing the official death of the "N-word," I just gave the brother a withering look and responded, "African-American, please."

Actually, I can't say that I didn't see another case coming. Sure, OJ began his post-acquittal life quietly enough - leisurely wiling away the borrowed hours of his miraculous second chance on America's golf courses. Then (cue the theme music to "Jaws") came news that he'd had an altercation or two with one of his white girlfriends. Then came the grotesque, semi-confessional, If I Did It, which, I have to say, was the defiant product of an absolute madman. All of which bring us to now - when I can't watch ESPN without being given up-to-the-minute information on OJ's legal condition.

Make no mistake about it: this will go to trial. I suspect that this time, no matter the verdict, both whites and blacks will be slightly more subdued in their reactions. I doubt I'll see black folks happily dancing around in the street if OJ dodges another bullet (no, really, I actually saw this.) Nor do I expect to see white folks crying while standing in line waiting to check out their groceries (ditto.) After all, this case is noticeably free of murdered white women. White corpses tend to get the populace ginned up. Brown corpses? Not so much. I think that, in part, this explains why African-Americans were so eager to see OJ moonwalk out of the courtroom a free man the first time. When OJ came out "clean" on the other side of that murder case, it was as if black folks were saying, "See, white people? Injustice doesn't feel too good. Does it?"

Blaxplanation Disclaimer: Just so you know, I'm not dismissing the almost certainly OJ-caused deaths of Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson. I just happen to have noticed that black Americans care as much about them as white Americans do about the unsolved murders of thousands of young black men and women that occur in this country every year. I think that's reasonable. Don't you?

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

At 7:37 PM , Blogger sara said...

Very reasonable. That's the exact logic I used to explain to my boyfriend my love for the Jack in the Box "flat buns" commercial. Yes the woman is sexualized (but not to the extreme of ethnic women of course) but the point is, I like that the video ridicules the white female body to give a glimpse of what it's like for African-American women and Latinas all the time. Seen it?

Yes and the OJ thing, I actually heard on the news that he faces a possibility of life in prison--how can you report that with a straight face? It's true, it's about not letting him get away with what he got away with in the past even though it happens all the time with white people in question....

you know about that non-armed taxi driver who was shot forty times by ten cops in NY? I think he was black. The mostly or all white cops basically washed their hands clean....sigh.

 
At 12:02 AM , Blogger bint alshamsa said...

You's a fool for that picture, dude! Man, why can't OJ just lay low?!! I swear, if I never see this dude on t.v. again, it will already be too much.

 
At 9:44 AM , Blogger Another Conflict Theorist said...

Peace Everyone,

Sara: I don't think I've seen that commercial. You should send me the youtube link if you can find it. BTW, the man to whom you're referring was Amadou Diallo. That was a HUGE case in NY. The shooting, and subsequent "not guilty" verdict for the cops sparked massive outrage and demonstrations.

Tulip: What's up? As soon as I came across that pic I knew what I would use it for. OJ isn't any good at laying low. I almost hope they convict him this time so white folks can rest easy and black folks won't have to worry about ever seeing him again.

 
At 8:36 PM , Blogger ...they call me "L" said...

Absolutely reasonable, conflict. I personally could care less about any of this...all I want is for all the sign-toting crazies and frenzied reporters to go home so I can get to work on time. Sheesh!

 
At 9:35 PM , Blogger Breez said...

i wish oj's tank head ass would disappear somewhere.

too harsh?

i'm fairly certain he will be convicted. unfortunately, his conviction will have little to nothing to do with his guilt or innocence and everything to do with him just being fairly douchey.

i never understood the reaction of either side to the first oj verdict. "i ain't get my oj prize yet!" (c) chris rock

 
At 8:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well considered post.

My reaction on learning of his arrest: Meh.

He's an idiot and I now dismiss him from further discussion on my part. Just ain't worth my effort.

 
At 8:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read the comment regarding Amadou Diallo. I marched across the Brooklyn Bridge in protest of his murder.

Add Eleanor Bumpers. Add Anthony Diaz. Add thousands upon thousands of murdered - punished - convicted innocent people of color.

I hate it that this clow gets anyone's sympathy or media time.

 
At 1:49 PM , Blogger Another Conflict Theorist said...

Peace,

L-Boogie: It never occurred to me that people are actually having this ridiculous spectacle interfere with their actual work-a-day lives. I'm sorry to hear it.

Breez: "The first thing I seen is O.J. Simpson, and I remember thinking to myself 'wow, that's O.J. Simpson, he has a big f*cking head, man!"

Jali: I don't blame you for taking the "no comment" stance. After this I'm done also. We've got enough people suffering from real persecution to waste time with this guy.

 
At 12:14 PM , Blogger Breez said...

HA! i actually thought of saying just that.

 
At 3:33 PM , Blogger sara said...

Thanks for the details, I know I had heard of it, but I couldn't remember much. By the way, here's the video...it will be interesting to know what you think!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RNlakElmwFs

 
At 5:15 PM , Blogger TiffJ said...

After all, this case is noticeably free of murdered white women. White corpses tend to get the populace ginned up.

Apparently, OJ is imploring law enforcement officials to toss his sorry behind in prison. He's asking for it, considering him almost confessing at every turn, with the "If I did it" bulldookey.

And in response to the last part of your disclaimer, I think it's definitely reasonable for us to care about those unsolved crimes as much as they care about the thousands of black people; women and children esp. who go missing or whose murders remain unsolved, they have a whole nation pulling for there to be closure, in fact!

 
At 10:00 AM , Blogger Blah Blah Blah said...

I like your disclaimer...also what it didn't say but yelled out loud...

OJ will do time because he has to...not because of his guilt (which I truly believe he is.
But if he doesn't go to jail...I'mma be dancing in the streets...no, seriously I will.
Why? 'Cause I be's like that sometimes...and...
There has to be a balance... it's obvious that they wish for strange fruit again...
I know that's bullsh!t but...I'mma ass like that.

 
At 7:32 PM , Blogger La Reyna said...

America gets all in a tizzy when O.J. allegedly murders his ex-wife Nicole 13 years ago while murders of Black women doesn't merit any outrage from the very same public. I'm sick and tired of the idea that white life is more valuable than black life. I want these people light a candle for Latasha Norman who was missing for two weeks until her body was discovered on November 28. They won't because the victim is black. Had the victim been white, these people demand the man's head on the platter for defiling their "treasure." i.e. white women.

Here's a small essay regarding lack of concern for black female victims of violence on my blog:

http://httpjournalsaolcomjenjer6steph.blogspot.com/2007/12/remembering-shawna-hawk-and-recent.html

Stephanie B.

 
At 1:22 PM , Blogger Sweating Through fog said...

Yes. Very reasonable. The injustice of the original OJ verdict was, unfortunately nothing new in this country.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Technorati Tags: ,
Add to: | Technorati | Digg | del.icio.us | Yahoo | BlinkList | Spurl | reddit | Furl | Technorati Tags: , , ,